Remember that moment in our childhood when sometimes our mother or sister would lovingly tease our hair and we would turn red-yellow in anger? Our love for hair is no secret and to keep it in a good condition we try all sorts of things- from getting a hairdo from a hair stylist to trying different treatments.
How to Become a Hairstylist:
- You should be creative, always ready to learn new treatments and willing to experiment.
- Be aware of the hairstyles that will suit your clients according to the shape of their faces. You should also have the ability to visualise someone before giving them a hairstyle.
- Apart from being good at your work, you should be friendly.
- Having an understanding of fashion and art will help you advance in this profession.
What are the Possibilities?
- You can find work as a trainee in any hair design salon. Apart from this, many health clubs and fitness centres also have salons. Also, you can work in the salon of a good hotel or spa.
- You can work as an in-house worker for a fashion house or a fashion magazine that has photoshoots almost daily.
- You can work with a beauty consultant who provides services to the film industry.
- Apart from opening your own salon, you can start working as a freelance hairstylist.
Hair Stylist Course Curriculum
- 15 Days Certificate Course in Hair Treatment.
- 6 Weeks Hair Crash Course.
- 8 Weeks Scientific Approach to Hair Designing.
- 12 Weeks Hair Part Time Course.
- 2-Month Certificate Course in Hair Designing.
- 2-Month Certificate Course in Basic Hair Styling.
- 3-Month Diploma in Hair Intensive.
- 2-Month Advance Certificate Course in Hair Designing.
- 4-Month Diploma in Hair Designing.
- 1 Year PG Diploma in Beauty Hair and Makeup.
Salary of a Hair Stylist
To establish your own salon is a great option but we recommend you start your career by gaining experience with some professional hairstylists. As a trainee, a fresher can get a salary ranging from ₹7,000 to ₹10,000 per month in a local parlour. The salary can be almost double i.e. from ₹15,000 to ₹20,000 per month if you are employed with a salon of an international brand. As you gain more and more experience, you can expect a raise in your salary. A professional hairstylist with an experience of 3 to 5 years, can easily make up to ₹50,000 per month.
Famous Institutes to Teach You How to Become a Hairstylist
- Habib Hair Academy, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad
- Nalini and Yasmin Salon Pvt Ltd, Mumbai
- Juice Hair Academy, Mumbai
- Shahnaz Husain International Beauty Academy, Delhi
- Women Polytechnic, Delhi
- VLCC, Delhi
- Bharti Taneja Alps Beauty Academy, Delhi
- Spratt Academy of Hair Design, Bengaluru
Famous Hair Stylists of India
The first name that should be mentioned when talking about hair stylists in India is Jawed Habib. If anyone has made a mark in the country through hairstyling, then it is hairstylist Jawed Habib. Jawed not only retained the hairstyling tradition of his father Ahmed Habib but also spread it throughout the country. Today Jawed Habib has 322 salons and 46 academies across the country. Being a very creative hairstylist, Jawed’s expertise lies in both Indian as well as western hairstyles.
He is known today for having styled the hairdos of many models at fashion weeks. Jawed was also the brand ambassador of the famous shampoo brand Sunsilk for about 8 years. He has even penned down a book on professional hairstyles and other things related to it.
Jawed holds the record for doing 410 haircuts within 25 hours & 42 minutes which got him featured in the Limca Book of Records.
When it comes to hairstyling, Dilshad Pastakia is someone that you just cannot miss to mention. Dilshad entered the hairstyling business at a very young age but then went away to pursue further studies in the context of hair. She is now one of the leading hair stylists in Bollywood and Shahrukh Khan is one of her most loyal customers.
Stylist Adhuna Akhtar has been in the hairstyling business since 1988 and by now, she has established herself as a renowned hairstylist in India & abroad.
She paved the way for her career by setting up her first salon named ‘Juice’ in Mumbai and she entered Bollywood as a stylist for the popular film ‘Dil Chahta Hai’.
Adhuna is now the owner of a famous brand called BBLUNT which is quite popular in the market.
We all know Sapna Bhavnani, who is a famous Indian celebrity hairstylist, from the reality show Big Boss 9 where she participated as a contestant.
Sapna earned much fame through her hair parlour in Mumbai named ‘Mad O What’ and she now owns a number of hair parlours around the city. She has styled the hair of many popular Bollywood celebrities such as Priyanka Chopra, Bipasha Basu, Gauri Khan, Dino Morea and many more.
Only a few people know that she interned under Adhuna Akhtar at a salon named ‘Juice’ and that her work was seen at the Lakme Fashion Week.
Stylist Vikas Marwah runs his own parlours at Lokhandwala, Mumbai, provides hair stylist courses to his young students and is the youngest renowned hair stylist in India.
He is someone who is not afraid of experimenting and his work reflects the passion he has for hair styling. Vikas has done styling for many famous personalities and he has also gotten featured in several renowned fashion and hairstyle magazines.
Hair Stylist Course: Merits and Demerits
- Earnings can be increased with experience.
- Get a chance to experiment with new hairstyles.
- People’s reactions are instant, so we need to be more alert.
- Not every experiment is necessarily successful. Your failure can upset not only you but the client as well.
The key to being a good hairstylist is to understand what the client wants and then deliver. Above, we have provided you with a complete guide on hairstyling to help you succeed.
At Hunar Online, you will get access to detailed video lessons and can learn from anywhere. You will get 24/7 faculty support and a chance to learn from the experts in the industry. Also, watch our trial classes and get a glimpse of our courses. You can start learning your favourite course by downloading the app.
So, what are you waiting for? Join Hunar Online Courses and do what you always wanted to do.