What’s peeping from the window? A long-lasting career in fashion design for which you should go deep within the functions of the industry that includes pattern making as well.
Pattern Making to Get You Started in Fashion Designing:
A paper template of a garment section from which fabric is cut is known as drafting or pattern making. It is a flat method in comparison to draping and is made from individual measurements. Also in drafting, there are no seam allowances. In this method, the body shape is translated into a paper shape.
- Drafting is a method of drawing patterns on brown paper with accuracy and precision.
- Made by reading the style or style sketch.
- The bridge between designing and production.
- Highly skilled technique.
- Knowledge of taking measurements, design interpretation and garment construction is required.
For making a career in fashion designing, the base needs to be strong. So, here are the basics of pattern making-
Developing of designs:
A career in fashion design in India demands that the designer sketches a number of designs based on the fabric and colours predicted by fashion forecasting.
To evolve the customised designs, interacting with the customer and knowing their preference and taste is a must.
Preparation of Patterns
The silhouette of the design is analysed and patterns are created either on a piece of paper or muslin cloth.
The art of pattern making requires skill and creativity because pattern making is a process of creating two-dimensional pattern pieces for a garment that is three dimensional.
Cutting of Fabric:
The fabric is cut following the instructions given in the pattern.
Cut pieces may vary according to the style of the pattern. Maybe 10, 15 or even 20 pieces can be used for one single garment.
Where cut fabric pieces of different shapes are sewn together to form a garment like sewing front and back at shoulder, attaching a sleeve to the bodice block, sewing collars to the neckline and so on.
Methods of Pattern Making for Career in Fashion Designing After 12th:
The drafting method is also termed as flat pattern method as the patterns are drafted on flat paper.
- Patterns are drafted for a style and it is based on individual body measurements.
- Fashion designing involves commercial patterns where patterns are drafted for standardised body measurements.
- The method of drafting involves mathematical calculations and has a set of instructions for drawing.
- Inclusion of ease allowance permits easy breathing, allows free body movements and makes wearing easy.
- For styles that are symmetric, the patterns are drawn on one side only and for the asymmetric styles, the patterns are drawn on both sides.
Types of equipment needed for a career in fashion designing after 12th-
For this method, you will need both drawing as well as measuring instruments, some of which are- pencil, straight edge ruler, flexible ruler, craft paper, cardboard, straight pins, compass, etc.
What type of paper do you need for drafting and altering patterns in a fashion design industry?
- Non-greasy paper for ease of drawing.
- Durable paper which is not too thin and is fit for preservation.
- Smooth paper for correct and comfortable drawing.
- The size of the paper should be the size of the garment.
Important Tips for a Successful Career in Fashion Designing in India
- Use pencils and not markers or pens for erasable drawings.
- Avoid cutting or overwriting to get neat and fine lines.
- The lines drawn should be clearly visible.
- The curved lines should be smooth.
- Always mark accurately measured distances. No seriousness while marking will spoil the proportions.
- Use paper scissors and not fabric scissors for cutting.
- For perfection in fashion designing, cut accurately.
Mark these on drafting
- The identification mark of every pattern piece by its name such as bodice front, bodice back, sleeve, etc.
- The number of fabric pieces to be cut with each pattern piece.
- If seam allowances are included, then seam and cutting lines should be clearly drawn on the pattern.
- Length grainline on every pattern piece.
- Notches for easy matching of components while sewing.
- While drafting, Centre front (CF), as well as centre back (CB) lines, should be properly marked.
- Fold lines where the material should be folded.
- Dart and pleat markings.
Advantages of Drafting Patterns for Career in Fashion Designing After 12th:
- As it is crafted on paper, it also saves the cost of fabric. If the waste occurs in fabric, it will be costlier which is eliminated by the alternate use of paper.
- Creative and unique garment designs can be made using this method.
- This method is more ideal for bulk production where cuttings are made many times.
- The patterns can be preserved for a longer period of time if it is made on thick brown paper. For further long duration, it can be glued to a chart or cardboard.
- These patterns can be reused even when the order is repeated after a year.
- Thus we see, it saves time and labour.
- Suitable for fit garments.
- Originality is possible as you can have fabric, trims and style of your choice.
- Solves individual figure-fit problems. The different figures include- Triangle shape, Inverted triangle shape, Rectangle shape, Hourglass shape, Diamond shape and Rounded shape.
- It is an inexpensive method of fashion designing as compared to tailor-made, readymade, commercial patterns or draping.
- With one size of the pattern, other pattern sizes can be developed by the grading process. What is grading? It is the process of reducing or increasing the sizes. For instance, if a pattern of small size is created, medium, large and extra-large patterns can be developed.
- Economic cutting can be achieved by making a suitable layout which is done by arranging pattern pieces on the fabric in different ways. With economic cutting, fabric costs can be minimised. This is vital when it is a bulk cutting where layers of fabrics are cut.
You have learnt about pattern making but unless you know how to practice it, you cannot expect a promising end to your career in fashion design. This is where Hunar Online comes to your rescue. Enrol in your favourite fashion designing course and kickstart your journey.
Also Read: Fashion Designing and its Scope in India
At Hunar Online, you will get access to detailed video lessons and can learn from anywhere. You will get 24/7 faculty support and a chance to learn from the experts of the industry. You can also watch our trial classes and get a glimpse of our courses. You can start learning your favourite course by downloading the app.
So, what are you waiting for? Join Hunar Online Courses and do what you always wanted to do.