Who can define creativity and happiness? A fashion designer can. The fashion designer’s creative universe is limitless, informed by an endless stream of ideas. Though his/her creative ideas are endless the salary cannot be so. Fashion designer salary in India depends upon several factors and here, we will take a look at these factors.
Fashion designer salary in India depends on the kind of designation he/she is posted at:
1. Design Assistant- This is a low-rank post in the fashion design industry and hence the pay is also low. The average monthly salary of a design assistant is somewhere between ₹15000 to ₹25000. The factors determining fashion designer salary in India are vast.
2. Junior Designer– You start working in the company as a design assistant and after some experience, you may be promoted to the designation of a junior fashion designer. However, if you possess the right skills, you may directly get into a company as a junior designer. The average salary of a junior designer is ₹25000 to ₹40000 per month.
3. Creative Designer– A creative designer is the highest designation in the field of fashion designing. It, however, does not come easily. You should not only have the required skill but also some years of experience to earn yourself this post. The average salary of a creative designer is somewhere between ₹50000 to ₹1 lakh per month. This pay is subject to a raise as well.
4. Design Manager– A design manager is not subject to one field only but can work in a variety of fields. It is the job of a design manager to increase the productivity of the company and its manpower as well. These are the people who provide valuable expertise for the overall betterment of the company. They also provide expertise on graphics and lead a project team. On the whole, design managers are responsible to create brand opportunities and helping with their growth. A design manager can get a salary of about ₹40000-₹2 lakh per month depending on their job experience.
5. Social Media Marketing Manager– As the post title itself suggests, these are the people who are responsible for all the buzz and hype created for a product on social media platforms such as Instagram, Google, etc. Social media marketing managers create an environment suitable for the thriving of the company on social media platforms. They also analyse the data, are responsible for building brand awareness and creating engaging content for the users. The average monthly salary of a social media marketing manager is about ₹20000- ₹60000.
Image Source- DOT School of Design
Fashion designer salary in India in different fields is also different:
1. Graphic Designer– A graphic designer can earn an average salary of about ₹15000-₹50000 per month.
2. Senior Graphic Designer– A person designated for the post of a senior graphic designer can earn about ₹25000-₹75000 per month.
3. Design Engineer– He/she can expect ₹18000- ₹75000 per month.
4. Graphic Artist/Designer– A graphic artist/designer can earn somewhere between ₹15000-₹60000 per month.
5. Web Designer- The average salary of a web designer is about ₹15000-₹50000 per month.
6. Design Architect- A design architect earns somewhere between ₹18000- ₹1 lakh per month.
7. Interior Designer– A interior designer can expect a salary between ₹15000- ₹75000 per month.
Particularly, there are 4 principal locations or metro cities in India. These are New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata. Since the rate of development in metro cities is high and also the lifestyle of the people residing here is better than other non-metro locations, a fashion designer working here is expected to make more income than working anywhere else.
New Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore display an upward trend in the pay package in the field of fashion designing. Kolkata, despite being a metro city, shows a downward trend because people here are more inclined towards maintaining a balanced lifestyle than being largely influenced by the new fashion trends. Fashion designer salary in India is the best in Bangalore while Gujarat pays a lot less to them.
As mentioned earlier, a fashion designer salary in India not only depends on the skill possessed by him/her but also the experience which he/she brings into the industry:
• The average pays of a fresher with little or no experience is somewhere between ₹15000 to ₹25000.
• A designer with 1-4 years of experience is expected to get an average salary between the range of ₹25000-₹35000.
• Those with a job experience of 5-9 years can earn somewhere around ₹45000-₹55000.
• A designer with job experience of more than 10 years can expect to get average pay of around ₹60000+
• The pay can be much more depending on several other factors.
Fashion designer salary in India is also affected by the level of skills possessed by him/her:
If you have some technical garment knowledge, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) and is well versed with pattern making and coral draw, you can expect to get better pay than someone who just has the knowledge of adobe photoshop and adobe illustrator.
Popularity is also a big factor in determining fashion designer salary in India. If you are quite popular in your field, you will definitely earn a better salary than someone less popular.
Net Worth of Some of the Popular Fashion Designers in India:
1. Neeta Lulla
She has designed outfits for some famous Bollywood movies such as Devdas, Jodha Akbar, Mohenjadaro, etc. She has 398k social media followers and 15 outlets in India. She has a revenue of around ₹35 crores.
Image Source- DissDash
2. Manish Malhotra
He is one of the best-known fashion designers in India with a social media following of 6.6 million people. He has won the best costume designer award four times till date and has been a part of the Bollywood industry for long. The expected revenue of Manish Malhotra is ₹230 crores.
3. Sabyasachi Mukherjee
He has been a constant feature in the news at present times, particularly because of his Mangalsutra designs. With 6 international and 18 Indian outlets, he rules the fashion design industry. He has a social media following of 5 million followers. The revenue of Sabyasachi Mukherjee is around ₹240 crores.
4. Rohit Bal
He is a popular fashion designer who was born in Srinagar and has a social media following of 410k people at present. He has seven outlets in the whole country and has also held shows in Geneva, Paris, New York, etc. His expected net worth is ₹25 crores.
Do you know?
By joining Hunar Online, you will get a chance to be mentored by 4-time national award-winning costume designer, Neeta Lulla herself. You can learn from her decades of experience, which will help you succeed in your career.
Now that you have a basic knowledge of fashion designer salary in India, you might feel more motivated to strive for your goal. For this, you’ll need the help of Hunar Online.
Also Read: Most Loved Fashion Designers of India
At Hunar Online, you will get access to detailed video lessons and can learn from anywhere. You will get 24/7 faculty support and a chance to learn from the experts of the industry. You can also watch our trial classes and get a glimpse of our courses. You can start learning your favourite course by downloading the app.
So, what are you waiting for? Join Hunar Online Courses and do what you always wanted to do.